Wednesday, May 27, 2009

All the places to go...

As my trip preparations progress, I've drafted two short lists of places I'd love to see while in England and, more specifically, while in London. Since I've always wanted to go to England and was an English major in undergrad, I think my must-see choices tend towards quintessentially touristy destinations. However, in some cases, I've been reading about these places (and/or the authors who lived there) from middle school onward, so it would be neat to see at least some of them while there. :) Nothing has been formally planned, though, so I'm open to additional suggestions or modifications, especially since I'll have limited free time outside of London for travel.

Click on the Read More link to see my prospective lists and/or make suggestions.

Places to see in England:
Chagford, Devonshire
Christ Church, Oxford (Carroll)
Grasmere, Lakes District (Wordsworth)
Canterbury
Hadrian’s Wall
Gretna Green (technically in Scotland, but recurrent in English lit.)
Stratford-upon-Avon
Winchester Cathedral and Chawton Cottage, Hampshire (Austen)
Haworth, West Yorkshire (Brontes)

Places to see in London:
Westminster Abbey
Tower of London
London Bridge
Globe Theater
British Library (Magna Carta, Beowulf manuscript)
Buckingham Palace
Big Ben
The British Museum (Elgin Marbles!)
Hyde Park

1 comment:

  1. Darbyshire, the home county of Mr. Darcy! Also, I've heard the Stonehenge/Old Salisbury area is a must-see. And perhaps the white cliffs of Dover?
    A
    s for London, there are several really cool churches there including the famous St. Paul's Cathedral, and also St. Martin In-The-Fields, a church which has free concerts at least once a week. St. Martin's is located in Trafalgar Square, which is a must-see as well- you have to climb on the lion statues and get your picture taken! :)

    ReplyDelete